He was born in Araraquara, SP, in 1906. He began painting with the St. Helena group in São Paulo. In the early thirties, he moved to Rio de Janeiro, forming with other artists the Núcleo Bernardelli. In 1942, he traveled to the United States where he stayed for three years and on his return to Brazil he was invited to teach painting at the Institute of Arts of the Federal University of Rio Grande do Sul. He lived in Porto Alegre until his death in 1994.